ESD Strap & Station Calibration
The purpose of this procedure is to establish guidelines for the calibration of
areas that use Electrical Static Discharge (ESD) grounding straps & stations.
All areas that use ESD equipment will be certified by this procedure no less than
every 12 months.
All ESD stations must be certified at least once per year. In the case that an ESD
mat is moved or new equipment is obtained, the proper ground connection is to be
Preliminary Instructions and Notes
- Read this entire procedure before beginning the calibration.
- Visually examine the ESD workstation for any condition that could cause errors in
- If any of the requirements cannot be met, refer to the applicable manufacturer manual.
- If a malfunction occurs or a defect is observed while calibration is in progress,
the calibration shall be discontinued and necessary corrective action taken; if
corrective action affects a measurement function previously calibrated, the function
shall be recalibrated before the remainder of the procedure implemented.
Applicable Manufacturers Manual or Brochures.
The specifications of the ESD workstation are determined by the applicable manufacturer's
documentation. If the manufacturer's documentation is not available, then the specifications
identified in this procedure are used.
The Standards listed below should be selected on the basis of their higher accuracy
level when compared to the unit under test. Equivalent Standards must be equal to
or better than the Minimum-Use-Specification.
- Digital Ohm Meter
- Surface Resistance Test Kit (SRT Kit)
Physical Inspection of ESD Workstation
Inspection will be made to prevent the ESD mat surface from being incorrectly connected
in series to its common ground.
- Verify that each ESD station is electrically isolated from direct
ground. Check that there is only a one 1 meg-ohm resistor for each 6 feet of ESD
- Visually ensure that each of the 1 meg-ohm resistor(s) have connecting ground wire
(as in the case above) leading from the ESD mat surface to a common earth ground.
- Verify all wires are in good physical condition.
Grounding Strap Test with Ohm Meter
- Measure between the earth ground and wire connected to the ESD mat, at the point
where the wire actually connects to the mat. The reading should indicate approximately
1 meg-ohm ±10%.
- Disconnect the wrist strap cable(s) from the ESD station connector and verify the
grounding wrist strap's 1 meg-ohm resistor ±10%.
- Electrically ensure that the station and the connecting grounding straps ALL
have a common earth ground.
Surface Resistance Test
- Inspect the workstation's ESD mat for excessive wear and replace if necessary. Clean
the ESD mat with an approved cleaner such as "REZTORE" prior to testing.
- First, test the SRT kit meter by setting the slide switch to the "Battery Check"
position and pressing [TEST]. The battery check scale is identified with the letter
"B." If the pointer remains in the red portion of that scale replace batteries before
- Connect the leads to the black and red terminals on the meter, and the other ends
into the holes on top of the heavy electrodes.
- Set the meter's slide switch to "10 Volt Test." Place the heavy electrodes on the
ESD mat in opposing areas and press [TEST]. Set the meter on "HOLD" by flipping
up the metal tab.
- Wait 15 seconds for a clear reading on the scale before moving on to the next point.
A reading between 1 x 10x6 and 1 x 10x10 is required at a minimum of 5 sets of locations
on the mat.
- Connect the meter's red terminal (marked LINE) lead to one of the heavy electrodes
and the meter's black terminal (marked EARTH) lead of the meter to grounding clip
and attach to a groundable point on the ESD material. Set the meter again to the
"10 Volt Test" position, press [TEST], and set the meter on "HOLD" by flipping up
the metal tab.
- Wait 15 seconds for a clear reading on the scale, before moving on to the next point.
A reading between 1 x 10x6 and 1 x 10x10 is required at a minimum of 5 locations
from the mat to the ground.
- Record a "pass" or "fail" in the "SGT" column on the ESD Station Certification Record
(FRM-1145). Flip "HOLD" tab off to end test.
Reason for Reissue
Revision A - First Release
Download Calibration Control