In Calibration Control (our Calibration Management Software), you can record all equipment calibration history data — from a third-party calibration company and a calibration certificate — to an in-house technican and all the measurement data.
In the Edit Equipment dialog, the Calibrations history summary is displayed from the Calibrations tab. To create or add a new Calibration Event record, click the green [+] icon, or right-click in the Calibrations records gray area to select "New Record" from the context menu. All Cal history will display in the Calibrations tab of the Edit Equipment dialog, and each historical record can be opened or linked for traceability.
Create a Simple Calibration Event
The following image shows a simple Calibration Event without any Measurements, as is often the case when recording calibrations handled by an external calibration laboratory.
The Calibration Results (As Found and As Left) can be selected when no Measurement Groups exist. The Technician, Temperature, and Humidity fields are usually not required in the outside lab scenario because this data would be included on the certificate the external organization provided. The calibration certificate provided by the outside calibration company can then be attached to this Calibration Event.
Calibration Event Fields
- Certificate: A sequential number is assigned to each Calibration Event. This number is automatically used as the Certificate number, unless another value is entered in this field, and it should be unique. To set the number value to automatically increment for this field, see the Number Masks topic for instructions.
- Date: Date the Calibration Event took place. This field defaults to today's date.
- Company: The organization that calibrated the equipment, like your own company (Internal) or a calibration laboratory (External).
- Temp (Temperature): Enter the ambient temperature of the room where the calibration is performed. If a THUM device (USB hygrometer) is plugged in and configured this field will auto populate.
- Humidity: Enter the Relative Humidity of the room where the calibration is performed. This field is also auto populated with a configured THUM device.
- Technician: The individual who performed the calibration. This field is auto populated from the Technician field on the parent Equipment record.
- As Found: Record the condition of the equipment when it was received for calibration (e.g., Out of Tolerance or In Tolerance). This field gets auto-populated when the results are tied to the results of the Measurement Groups.
- As Left: Record the condition of the equipment at the end of the Calibration Event. This field is auto-populated when using Measurement Groups because the results of the groups are tied to the overall result of the Calibration Event.
- Remarks: Use this field for any remarks related to the Calibration Event.
- Refer to Measurement Groups section.
This panel grid contains the Attachments, Documents, All Notes, and Part Numbers grids. Use the Add, Link, Edit, Unlink, and Delete buttons at the bottom of each panel grid to edit the information. Resize the panel grids by clicking and dragging the spacer bars.
- Attachments: Attach a certificate PDF provided by an external calibration company, a cal worksheet, or link other existing Attachments to this calibration record.
- Documents: Attach your Procedures to this calibration event, if it is not already linked to the Equipment record.
- Notes: Link other existing Note records to this calibration or add a new Note.
- Part Numbers: Link more information from Part Number records to this calibration.
Calibration Standards can be tied to a calibration event in three tiers of traceability for the test/master gages used. You can select Standards at the Calibration record level, the Measurement Group level, and/or at the Nominal level.
This tab allows you to identify the Standards used in the overall Calibration event level.
Miscellaneous information related to the Cal Event is also available in this tab:
- Use Count: Shows how many times the equipment being calibrated has been used since its last calibration.
- Approval: Checking the box in this tab approves and locks the current Calibration Event record from future editing. If the current user is signed-in at the time the box is checked, that Person's name will be tied to the approval of the Event and the name and date is signed on the Calibration Certificate stock report.
- Cal Cost: The actual cost of this Calibration Event.
- Cal Time: The actual time required to perform this Calibration Event.
- Last Due Date: This is the most recent Equipment Due for Calibration date, before this current event.
- Received for Calibration: Choose the date the equipment was received for calibration. This field auto-populates with the Equipment's Received for Calibration date if your setting is defined in Options with the Status Change feature.
Calibration Due for Certificate
At the bottom of the Standards/Miscellaneous tab are settings for the Calibration Certificate.
- Calibration Frequency: Choose the frequency of calibration, if this field does not auto-populate from the Equipment record. This displays on the Calibration Certificate stock report.
- Units: Choose the appropriate Frequency Units, if this field does not auto-populate from the Equipment record. This displays on the Calibration Certificate stock report.
- Next Cal: Select the date of the equipment's next calibration, if this field does not auto-populate from the Equipment record. This displays on the Calibration Certificate stock report.
Measurement Groups: Structure and Fields
- Each Calibration Event can have several Measurement Groups or none at all.
- Each Measurement Group can have any number of Nominal Measurements in it.
- Each Measurement Group can have its own Tolerance, Unit of Measure, and Equipment Standards Used in Calibration.
To illustrate, the diagram below is a single Calibration Event with three Measurement
Groups with a different number of nominals in each Measurement Group.
Measurement Group Fields
In the Edit Calibration dialog, under the Calibration tab, use the bottom panel grid to Add [+] Measurement Groups to the Calibration Event. Adding a Measurement Group presents the following terms from the Measurements tab:
- Group Number: Measurement Group Number auto-populates; change the number, if needed.
Tolerance Type: Set as None, Percent (%), Manual Entry, Tolerance (+/-). The following is the result of each type:
- None: The Upper and Lower Limits are the same as the Nominal.
- Percent (%): [Upper Limit = Nominal + (Nominal x Plus Tolerance)] and [Lower Limit = Nominal - (Nominal x Minus Tolerance)]
- Manual Entry: Manually enter the Tolerance values.
- Tolerance (+/-): [Upper Limit = Nominal + Plus Tolerance] and [Lower Limit = Nominal = Minus Tolerance]
- Locked: Once Tolerance and plus/minus values are set, select to Lock the Tolerance Type to avoid accidental editing of upper and lower limits.
- Plus(+) and Minus(-): Choose the upper and lower tolerance limits when using 'Percent' or 'Tolerance' as the Tolerance Type. Then set the Tolerance Type to "Locked" to avoid changes.
- Mask: The Number Mask is used to set the Integer Spaces (number places to left of decimal) and Significant Digits (number places to right of the decimal). The first mask field controls only the Nominal Mask. The second mask field controls the general mask for all values other than the nominal.
- Group Name: Enter a group name for the Measurement, if needed.
- As Found: Automatically In Tolerance (green) or Out of Tolerance (pink) dependent on the value of the As Found Result column in the Measurement Grid below (yellow area). If any record has a failing result (red X), the Measurement Group As Found value will be Out of Tolerance.
- As Left: Automatically Pass (green) or Fail (pink) dependent on the value of the As Left Result field in the Measurement Grid below (blue area). If any record has a failing result (red X), the Measurement Group As Left value will be Fail.
- Units: Select the Unit of Measurement for all number fields (e.g., measurements and tolerances) in the current Measurement Group. (When a different Measurement Unit is required for the same Calibration Event, create an additional Measurement Group in the Cal Event.) Edit all available Measurement Units in the combo box from the main Codes table.
- Measurement Notes: Add any notes specific to the current Measurement Group.
Additional Measurement Group (MG) Features:
- Show Sequence: Check the box to enter a custom sequence order for each measurement.
- Show Description: Check the box to enter a custom description for each measurement.
- Auto Fill After: Check the box to copy As Found values and auto-fill as the As Left field values, too.
- Show Uncertainty: Check the box to enter Measurement Uncertainty values to the results. Double-click in the new Other column to enter "Expanded Uncertainty" and/or select an existing Uncertainty Study from the combo-box.
- Show Standards: (Standards Used for Nominals) Check the box to tie standards to each measurement. Double-click in the new Other column Stds field to Edit Standards and select from available records.
- Sample Measurements: Double-click in the As Found or As Left fields for any measurement nominal to enter a range of sample measurements and use the average result as the As Found or As Left values.
Standards Used in Measurement Group
Linking Standards in the Measurement Group is the most popular user method of traceability for Calibration Events. (You can link Standards at the Calibration record level, each Measurement Group level, and/or at the specific Nominal levels.)
View the Standards Used tab to see a list of the Calibration Standards used for measurements in the current Measurement Group (MG). To link Standard Equipment in the MG, click on the [Edit Standards] button to bring up a list of available Standards to choose from.
Check the "Use" box(es) of each Standard(s) record, and click OK. Equipment records identified as a Calibration Standard, and have a Calibration Due date greater than the current day, AND with its most recent (if any) Calibration Event as 'Passing', can be selectable from the Standards Used button. Standards that need calibration are shown in red, but cannot be selected.
Additional Tabs in the Edit Calibration Event Dialog
There are three last tabs in the Edit Calibration dialog that help organize and display information related to the current Calibration Event.
- Custom Fields: Custom fields are available for adding Characters, Dates, Numbers, and Check boxes. Visit the Change Field Names help topic to learn how to edit these fields.
- Scatter Plot: This tab displays a Scatter Plot of the measurements entered for a given Measurement Group. In-Tolerance As Found measurements are displayed Green while Out-of-Tolerance measurements are Red.
- Meta: This is a READ-ONLY information tab used as a reference to view which user created the record and which user was the last to edit it, including the dates and times these occurred.