Use the Edit Equipment dialog in Calibration Control (our Calibration Management Software) to store all data related to a tool / test equipment.
Change the name of any field to continue using words that make sense to your organization.
Use the [Cancel] or [Submit] buttons located at the bottom of the Edit Equipment dialog, or move between Equipment records by clicking the arrow buttons. Print labels directly from the Equipment record by clicking the buttons for [Cal Label], [Maint Label], or [Asset Tag].
The Equipment tab fields of the Edit Equipment dialog are defined below. Note: If the field name* appears in a shaded box, you must click the field name in order to add or save new values to its corresponding combo-box (drop-down list) of available values.
- Equipment ID: The unique identification given to your own tools / test equipment and is often referred to as an Asset Number. This is the only required field to create a new Equipment record. Create custom ID number masks and / or set to automatically increment.
- Serial Number: The unique identification the manufacturer gives their tools / test equipment. (You may periodically find that some manufacturers do not assign serial numbers or that the S/N label has fallen off.)
- Model*: The Model number of the tool / test equipment, usually assigned by the manufacturer.
- Size/Range*: The size or range of the tool / test equipment.
- Description: The description of the tool Model number automatically reflects the chosen Model number's description field, if populated. Once the model is already selected, then the description field for this tool can be further edited.
- Manufacturer*: The manufacturer company that made the equipment / tool. This field will also automatically set if an existing Model number is chosen and has a Mfg company field assigned.
- Equip Type*: Classification system developed by you, the user of Calibration Control. (Examples of Equipment Types include Caliper, 6" Caliper, Thermatron, Oven, etc.) This field will automatically set if an existing Model is chosen and has a Type field assigned.
- Alternate ID: This is a second ID field, the Equipment ID being the first. Use this field to record a customer's Equipment ID, or a company Asset number, if it is not the same as the Equipment ID.
- Site*: Company field for a geographical site or company for this tool.
- Department*: The department in the organization where the tool is currently located.
- Location*: The location within the department where the tool is currently located. (This could be a specific work area or even an engineer's desk.)
- Custodian*: The individual who has custody or possession of this tool.
- Status*: The current status of the tool / test equipment (e.g., Accepted, Active, Lost, Removed from Service, In Calibration, or any other custom status code as needed). Refer to the Status Change feature and Hiding Equipment by Status.
- Notes: Enter short text notes for whatever purpose needed.
Calibrations Tab of Equipment Record
Use the Calibrations tab of the Edit Equipment dialog to track an overview / calibration summary for this tool.
Historical Calibration Events (previously-created calibration records) for this Equipment stores in the Calibrations panel grid and can be viewed again. Record a new Calibration Event for this tool by clicking on the green [+] button at the bottom of the dialog.
Click the [Print Certificate] or [Print Worksheet] buttons to send either a Calibration Worksheet or a Calibration Certificate straight to your default printer. (If your default setting is 'Print to PDF', clicking these buttons only displays a Print-Preview copy.)
Calibrations Tab Fields
- [Calibration] Last: The date of the last calibration is set automatically when entering a new Calibration Event with a Status of Pass. The Calibration Last date can be set manually, which automatically updates the Calibration Next field based on the value of the Frequency field.
- [Calibration] Next: The date of the next calibration is calculated automatically when entering a new passing calibration event or when manually updating the Calibration Last field. In either situation, the next calibration date is calculated based on the chosen Frequency and Units.
- Override Calibration Next [check box]: Manually extend or otherwise override the Calibration Next date by checking the box to the right of the Calibration Next field.
- Received [for Calibration]: The date when equipment is received for Calibration. Refer to the Status Change feature to automatically set this date field.
- Frequency / Units: The required frequency between calibrations, like yearly or semi-annual. If choosing a frequency that requires a unit multiplier (e.g., weeks, days, or months), the Units field will enable to adjust the number of units (weeks, days, or months, etc.). The 'Month of' and 'Week of' frequencies set a general due date of an entire month or week.
- Calibration Standard [check box]: Check this box if the current equipment is used as a calibration standard for other equipment.
- Company*: The organization (Calibration Company) that regularly calibrates this instrument. This is a useful field when wanting to create a report of all the equipment due in a given period for a specific calibration resource.
- Technician*: The person who normally calibrates this equipment.
- Certificate: Number of the Certificate issued by the organization responsible for the last calibration event. Used primarily to aid in traceability back to a national measurement standard, especially if this equipment is a Calibration/Test Standard. Note how a certificate number can be referenced...
- Cert. No. Ref: Determine how your Certificate Number field is referenced when the Standard Equipment is linked in a Calibration Measurement Group and prints a Cert number on a Certificate. Change settings by going in the Options dialog / Advanced tab / Calibrations tab.
- Template: Select a custom Template when creating a new Calibration Event. (By default, the most recent calibration record will serve as a calibration template for future calibration records of this tool.)
Use the Maintenance panel grid of the dialog to create, link, and track Maintenance results tied to an Equipment record. Maintenance Notes are formatted as long text notes for recording results of routine inspection cycles. Create a new Maintenance Cycle Note by selecting the green [+] symbol at the bottom of the dialog.
Additionally, monitor Equipment with Maintenance Due with grid colors and/or view Equipment Maintenance Due in the context menu of the Equipment grid (F12).
Use these panel grids to add, link, and edit the Attachments, Documents, Notes, and Part Numbers records related to an Equipment record.
- Attachments: Attach a Certificate provided by an external calibration company, Cal Worksheets, or link other existing Attachment records to this Equipment record. (Note: Attachments link separately to the Calibration Event(s) for the Equipment record.)
- Documents: Attach Document records of Procedures to the Equipment record. (Note: Documents linked to the most recent Calibration Event of this Equipment are automatically linked to future calibration records.)
- Notes: Link existing Note records to this Equipment record or add a new Note.
- Part Numbers: Link more information from Part Number records to this Equipment record.
The Misc tab contains groups of data to help organize information related to the Equipment record.
- Owner*: The Owner (Person field) of this tool / equipment, if not the organization. A [Personal Property] check box is also available.
- System*: View or assign an Equipment System to which this Equipment belongs.
- Barcodes*: Additional or custom barcodes that may already be provided on the tool / equipment. This field is especially useful if printing new barcode labels are unnecessary, and Calibration Control can recognize the custom barcode labels already affixed to this tool / equipment.
- Equip Cost: Record the purchase price of this Equipment.
- Calibration Cost: Record the general calibration cost for this tool. The specific costs and calibration time spent is stored in the Calibration Event record (Standards | Misc tab).
- Acquired: Record the Acquisition date of this Equipment.
- In Service: Record the In-Service date for this Equipment.
- Procedure: Link a Procedural Group from the combo-box list to tie to this Equipment for procedural steps in calibration worksheets.
- By*: The Checked Out By field shows the person who has checked out the Equipment, if assigned.
- Date: The Checked Out Date field shows the most recent date this Equipment was checked out, and only populates if it is currently checked out. When not checked out, this field is blank.
- Use Count: Number of times this Equipment was checked out since its last Calibration date.
More Tabs in the Equipment Dialog
There are other tabs within the Edit Equipment dialog that help organize data related to Equipment records.
The Custom tab contains extra fields available in text, date, number, and checkbox format to easily rename and use for whatever needed.
The Image tab allows you to select a picture and view one main graphic image that represents that specific Equipment record.
The Overrides tab contains the selections for optional label and report overrides. Default labels and reports are defined at a global (application) level in the Options dialog, while the override selections for Labels and Reports applies for this specific Equipment record.
The Meta tab is a READ-ONLY information tab used as a reference to view which user created the record and which user was the last to edit it, including the dates and times these occurred.